Sunday 6 March 2016

March 3, 2016

We decided this morning to head for Yosemite National Park – it was on our list and this seemed a good a time as any to head there.
We stopped by the information booth to pick up some maps and to find out if there were any camp grounds open.  The elderly lady working the booth was incredibley helpful and found us well prepared to do anything while in Yosemite, so she gave us lots of options – she showed us the quintessential photo in her office and told us that was exactly what we were going to see at the end of the tunnel entering the park and she was exactly right – the only way we can think to describe it is -- it was like something Disney put together for a movie  – we stopped to enjoy the view and take some photos.
We found our way to the upper pines campground and got set up.
We took a little drive to get our bearings and checked out the shops and extravagant hotel – the Ahwahnee or what is now renamed the Majestic Yosemite Lodge and it is absolutely amazing – very grand!
We decided to start by hiking to the lower Yosemite Falls which was very beautiful – it is North America’s tallest waterfall at 2425 feet.  Our timing couldn’t have been better as far as seeing the waterfalls – I guess other seasons are not as spectacular.  As we looked up to the upper Falls and we decided that was where we wanted to be.   It was already 1:00, but we decided to go for it. 
We hit the summit around 4:00 – climbing 3000 vertical feet with over 100 switch backs –
One thing we learned quickly was if you want to truly experience Yosemite you need to exert yourself.
The view was like nothing I have experienced – I have seen several waterfalls in our travels and beautiful mountain views – but never have I been able to stand in 1 spot and have a 360 degree of pure raw beauty.



 
There was such a sense of peace at the top – I slowly made my way towards the edge to have a quick glance over the sheer cliff, 3000 feet is a long way down!  It took me a couple of tries before I was brave enough to take the narrow staircase that led to the final lookout – I thought to myself you hiked all the way up here – you are going to be disappointed if you don’t face this fear….. and yes it was absolutely worth it, but it did give me the willies.  I am so glad I did it!  I'm not done with Yosemite.


 



 
 

4 comments:

  1. This brings back so many memories of Yosemite....waterfalls, beer on the Lodge's patio but most impressive was El Capitan with mountain climbers hammocks in tow to spend the night hanging off the cliff.
    Love your pictures, so much attention to detail!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure to travel highway 198 coming out of sequoia, was one of my favorite sections of road on the motorbike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know why you said we have to have a girls trip there. It is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete