Thursday 18 February 2016


February 13, 2016
Good nights’ sleep in the field – stopped at a cute little bakery on Main Street in Mendocino that says open at 8ish – you knew it was going to be good by the lineup waiting for the doors to open!   It didn’t disappoint – great coffee and baked goods!
Today’s drive was much clearer – the morning sun lit everything up just perfectly for us.  I have to say I was a little blown away at being up so high – Bill figures we were 500 feet above the ocean at one point and there is nothing stopping you from driving right over the sheer cliffs – we stopped a few times at turn outs to let traffic pass or to have a peek over and it definitely made my stomach flip – Bill could walk right along the edge in his flip flops while I tried to peek from a few feet back.  It is such a weird feeling seeing the birds flying below you – it just doesn’t seem right.
At one point in our drive you could see where there used to be houses and they had literally fallen off the cliff – just a bit of cement was left from their foundation.
Traffic started to pick up mid- day and we noticed most of the State Parks had signs up saying campground full so we thought we better start looking for a place to stay.  We ended up stopping in Bodega Bay – at a private campground –
Bill found a great little surf spot – so I think we might just settle in for the long weekend as I am sure things will only get busier the closer we get to San Francisco.
I wish I had my Aunties and some of my wine loving friends here with me in this wine tasting Somona area.

No comments:

Post a Comment