Friday 5 February 2016


We met the Riek family in 2010 at the annual Backcountry Magazine ski test and instantly became friends with them.  I loved hanging out with this family – they loved to ski together and their energy was infectious. 
The girls are extremely positive and always encouraging me to get to the next level– they are very confident skiers – no wonder with their adventurous parents who are both incredible climbers and skiers.   Anna and Maria started sliding between Lance and Christine’s skis at age one.  Nordic gear at two.  Climbing skins on Nordic skis at three and AT setups at five.   Now at age 12 and 14 the girls can dig a snow pit, climb and ski 6,000 vertical and they do all of it with a big smile on their face.
I remember at the first ski test being talked down a steep run by Maria who at the time was 7.  The entire ride up the chair lift she was building my confidence by telling me I could do it and that sometimes she struggled with her ski confidence and how she was going to help me get down the steeper lines.  So Maria and I pretty much formed a bond that day that will tie us together forever.
Lance is an avalanche expert who has taught several courses over the years and is very good at sharing his passion and knowledge with us – which we are so thankful for.  He is also a gear guru for Backcountry Magazine and writes articles for them on the latest avalanche gear, boots, bindings, skins and skis. 
Things did get a little techy here – (no wonder 3 engineers in the house) to the point of hauling out everyone’s gear and the scale.  It was very interesting to see the difference in weight – I learned that my gear is 8lbs heavier than Anna’s set up.  Which made me maybe feel a little bit better about being so slow on the climbs.  I enjoyed listening to Lance and Bill discuss their thoughts and preferences for gear.
Christine and Lance have welcomed us into their home and we are enjoying being together so much.  We have had wonderful dinner parties, played games with the girls and are making our way thru the entire Star Wars series before Anna heads to the movies on the weekend. 

We have a great set up in their long driveway and feel very comfortable in their home.  



No comments:

Post a Comment