Thursday 25 February 2016

February 21-24, 2016
We started making our way to Big Sur today February 21 – made a stop in Monterey – along the wharf and the marine sanctuary.  A pretty little spot to stroll.  We didn’t do the Aquarium this time, but it is definitely worthwhile if you are ever in the area.
We stopped in Carmel to restock – get groceries, gas, propane & more fuses for the darn fridge!!!  We are on fuse #13.  I think Carmel is so beautiful –  Clint Eastwood was mayor for some time – that is cool!
Then we were off to one of my most favorite places in the world – Big Sur!
It really is a magical place – the locals hope that you miss it- which is easy to do and that you don’t find all of its secret little spots.  We have been told by a local that if you stop and ask for directions – usually at the post office – you will be told “what way are you heading?—Yep, than just keep going that way”.

We had stopped in Big Sur on our last adventure and quickly became frustrated with the lack of information sharing and it was nearly impossible to find a decent map of any hiking trails – searching online can be very difficult also.  We were lucky enough to stumble on a couple of local hikers back in 2010 that invited us along with them to one of their favorite spots Timber Top –  we loved the hike so much we decided to do it again. 

It didn’t take us long to pack up our gear.  The hike is a 3000 foot vertical climb – about 28km round trip.  I find it to be a pretty serious hike carrying the 35lb pack – Bill’s pack was a little heavier as he carried the extra water bladder – which is something we don’t have to be concerned about back home hiking but it is always a concern in California - the hike to Timber Top is beautiful –  you have a view the entire hike – with the scent of fresh sage bushes and wild flowers –

We stopped about ½ way up at a little Buddha station – I noticed that people had made little offerings, so I dug around in my pack for something – people had left keys, pieces of glass plates, balls, hair ties, bracelets – let’s see I have a spare battery for my headlamp, keys, sunscreen and the only girly thing I have left my eso lip balm  -  no way… so I decide to leave some Canadian change – this is when I think I heard the laughing Buddha – even he didn’t want our Canadian money….

At least it gave me an excuse to stop for a minute – as my left foot hurt like a mother---  the sun was pretty intense – Bill was out ahead of me –  so I trudged along at my own pace and enjoyed the physical challenge.  By the time we hit the top I understood why Cheryl Strayed in the movie Wild called her pack Monster .    

As we rounded the last coroner – the view left me speechless --it was exactly as I had remembered it.

We set up camp – made some dinner and just sat and enjoyed the view and the stillness of Timber top –
We went to bed at 7:00pm as we were both whipped – I got up at midnight and went outside and I had to wake Bill up because the beauty that surrounded us was something I will remember for the rest of my life – the full moon, the stars, the large fishing boat with its lights shinning across the ocean – we sat on the grassy field for quite some time with just silence between us – I think the famous and controversial author Henry Miller said it best… Big Sur “the face of the earth as the Creator intended it to look”.

  

1 comment:

  1. What great stories and pictures.Way to keep up girl.

    ReplyDelete