Thursday 18 February 2016


 February 16, 2016 – Happy Birthday Mom!
The crowd finally broke and we were able to leave Bodega Bay this morning.  The drive was very pretty with rolling green hills and valleys – I was just starting to wonder what happened to the Ocean when Bill said “I think we are going the wrong way!”  Sure enough we had missed our turn 6 miles back.
 We   arrived in San Francisco around noon.  We kind of knew our way around from our last visit, so we were able to score parking pretty quickly.   Of course I just knew Bill was going to want to bike over the Golden Gate Bridge right away.   I love to test my healthy fear of heights – ok - maybe it is an unhealthy fear of heights - it was quite busy crossing the bridge as it was a temperature record breaking afternoon – and I found the bike ride across a little more stressful than the last time we rode it – for one thing it is always windy up there and no matter how hard I try to just look ahead – the open guard rails keep me glancing down at the rough, cold water 220 feet below – only this time I also had pedestrians to dodge which really wigged me out!   Anyway I managed to get across – stopped to enjoy the view on the other side – we had a good look at Alcatraz and then biked back - 
Getting around San Francisco on your bike is way easier than driving –especially with the trailer.


San Francisco is built on 43 hills, covering 49 square miles and surrounded by water on three sides – pretty amazing!   We biked for 5 ½ hours and it definitely felt like we went up more hills than we went down!    We biked to Crissy Field, the National Cemetery, Palace of Fine Arts, the Victorians and we did some urban biking thru the downtown area during rush hour and finished off by going thru Golden Gate Park .

I love everything about San Francisco-it is so hip!
 

5 comments:

  1. That must have been some bike ride.beautiful pictures again.The weather looked nice.Next thing we will be seeing snow,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brings back such fond memories of San Francisco!
    I believe it was the 75th anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge when we walked it. The police presence, pedestrians, bikers and the wind was unbelievable.
    Once again such beautiful pictures.
    Take care!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. San Francisco is on my bucket list and these picture move it up closer to the top. I don't know how I would make it across the bridge on a bike but I'd sure like to try. Sounds like you are having fun. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Blog.. Beautiful pics.. The bridge is now my screensaver .. Is this copyright infringement??:-0

    ReplyDelete
  5. your pics are beautiful. .. so happy you both are enjoying yourself and looks like weather is perfect. ...we miss you. I love reading your adventures deb. .. love from us all xoxo

    ReplyDelete