Monday 8 February 2016


February 3, 2016
Early start this morning –a little knock on the trailer door and coffee delivery at 6:30am – heading out for a backcountry day at Beehive Basin.
We had about a 1.5 hour drive to the trail head.
Lance had worked hard the night before at setting me up on some super light gear – right down to building a liner in a light-weight pack he had – apparently every pound helps!
Anna graciously offered up her gear – not many teenagers would do that willingly – thank you Anna!
The day was amazing – beautiful sunshine and blue sky – the climb to the ridge took about 1.5 hours –  I was fatigued,  but nothing like I was the first day – the lighter gear really helped me keep up and made it so much more enjoyable – I could barely feel the pack – my shuffle was much quicker.

The wind was whipping around at the top and when I was slipping across the ridge I was thinking my mother would be so freaked out if she could see where I am right now…
Lance stopped to ask how the slope looked to me and all I could see was steep and tight trees – god bless Lance and his patience with me - he wanted to make sure everything was just right for me – so away he went to another spot – that is when we hit the sweet spot!

Christine and I had so much fun hollering and giggling on the way down.

We gathered at the base and Lance helped me with Anna’s gear – skins and bindings as I was not familiar with her set-up – and away we went back up for another lap!
Lance decided to take another route back up as the ridge line was very windy – the track that was set was pretty steep and it gave me a chance to practice my kick turns – which came along quite nicely as long as you could find somewhere to set your pole – and it didn’t sink in the snow all the way up to your elbow.
I was proud of my climb this trip and felt the excitement when I reached the top and saw the bright colored flags whipping in the wind –
Thank you Lance for making the day so special for me.
We stopped for a nice hot drink on the way home – the chilli and cornbread dinner was delightful!
Bill and I both feel asleep during Star Wars! 













*thank you for being such good sports with the pop rocks girls!

3 comments:

  1. Love the stories and love the pictures Keep us updated. Lots of snow Not like here in Picton. No snow! We are home for a week and spend family day with the grandkids then head back down on the 15th. I'm so excited to have your mom and B come and spend some time with us. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures are beyond beautiful!
    Happy to hear you got your ski shit together for a more enjoyable ski experience!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I cannot believe what I have missed in the last couple of weeks, the pictures and adventures are incredible, great talking to you tonight enjoy the sun and sand before heading back to the snow. Love you.

    ReplyDelete